Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Week 31

With Darling Daughter #2:
With Natalie:
Technically I'm 31 weeks 1 day today. Yesterday we were flying back from MN where we visited Natalie's Oma and Opa; I didn't get a chance to upload my photo. Last Thursday, I had an appointment with Dr. Gaines to discuss my VBAC vs. c-section decision. As I expected Dr. Gaines was very clinical and too the point about my options. In retrospect, I was pretty emotional about my decision and probably should have had Emile come with me to the appointment. In general, I came to the conclusion that I would schedule a repeat c-section. It was a hard decision for me; however, one of the main reasons for my decision was I don't think I was emotionally on-board for committing to the VBAC like I thought I should be for getting over my fears of the potential complications. My c-section has been scheduled for December 3rd at 12:30 p.m. I have a pre-test appointment the day before and a pre-op appointment on November 24th. If I go into labor before then on my own and I actually progress (unlike last time) quickly, then I may still decide to try for the VBAC. If I don't appear to be progressing, I will more than likely still end up in a c-section. I will be full term as of November 17th so I could of course still go into labor on my own between then and December 3rd (of course, hopefully I don't go into labor before 37 weeks). At the latest, our little girl will be here by the 3rd.

Having the c-section scheduled definitely makes her arrival seem so much closer. It's very exciting and coming up sooner than I keep thinking.

My tail bone pain has subsided thankfully. My belly feels pretty heavy when I lay on my side if it is not supported. My Braxton Hicks contractions are still pretty consistent -- a few everyday. She kicks and punches me constantly, making her presence known.

Our baby probably measures about 18 inches long from head to toe and weighs about 3.5 pounds right now. Rather than hearing vibrations, her nerve endings in her ears are connected now so that she can hear distinct sounds, like familiar voices and music. This week, a layer of fat will form underneath the thin, wrinkly skin. She'll also start practicing opening her eyes and breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment