Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Week 37 - Full Term

With Darling Daughter #2:

With Natalie:

I had my 37 week appointment with Dr. Gaines today. He confirmed that my Group B Streph test was negative which is great -- no antibiotics needed during delivery. He also did an internal check; I'm only finger tip dilated. This was about where I was with Natalie at this time. I'm feeling so crampy. I wish these were actually doing something towards progress. Even though I have a scheduled c-section, I'm still holding out hope that I will go into labor on my own. I'm ready to go into labor, meet our little girl and be done being pregnant.

Dr. Gaines stated he wasn't 100% sure that she was head down (which won't matter if I end up in a c-section). He thought the top of my belly seemed harder than he'd expect for her butt etc. so it's possible she's actually breech. No way to know at this point without doing an ultrasound. I'll see what he says next Tuesday at my pre-op and 38 week appointment.

It's amazing to be already full term. This pregnancy has gone so much faster than it did with Natalie.

According to what I've read, our baby is now surrounded by a peak volume of 1,000 mL of amniotic fluid which is approximately equal to 4 cups. From this point on this amount will decrease gradually. Her nervous system is maturing now, almost ready to be on her own. The lanugo on our baby's skin is wearing off. In addition, the cortisone that is being produced by her endocrine system will help her lungs to take over the job of delivering oxygen to her blood stream after birth.

We put the car seat back in the car this past weekend and have finalized our top three choices of names for her. We're looking forward to finding out which name fits her the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment